I hope you all had a blessed Thanksgiving! Now that the feasting is over, it is time to start thinking about Christmas. Like many people, I am always on the lookout for new ways to help me and my family keep our focus on Christ during this season. One great tradition is the celebration of advent, the time of spiritual preparation for Christmas. I admit, however, that we usually have trouble sticking with our advent celebrations. We never found something that was all-inclusive, with Bible readings and study, plus activities organized all in one place. We just always seemed to be searching for something more.
Luckily, this year, I was privileged to receive a new product from Homeschool Encouragement that is exactly what my family has been looking for. It’s called Celebrate Jesus: An Advent Journey For Families. This ebook includes everything a family needs to make the celebration of advent a wonderful series of events.
What’s It All About?
Celebrate Jesus is a completely pre-planned daily advent for the entire family. Each day begins with a scripture reading to be done by the parent (and older children, if wanted.) Study questions are included to encourage critical thinking and reflection. Then, the family gathers together to pray, read the scriptures together and discuss. Together, the family then listens to or sings the given song, and then does the daily activity. There is often more than one option for the daily activity as well, so it’s easily customizable.
In the back of the book are some bonus sections, including additional recipes to try with the family, as well as copywork pages to reinforce many of the scripture passages.
Why Do I Love It?
- I love the fact that everything is already planned for me, so that I don’t have to track down different sources for each activity.
- The parent is encouraged to (re)read and reflect on the scriptures before gathering the family together. This simple step is often sadly skipped in other advent studies, so I am so glad to see it as part of the schedule.
- Family Prayer. It is so easy to drift away from this, so a daily reminder to pray as a family is wonderful.
- Each day there is a new song to sing or listen to. As a firm believer in the necessity of daily praise and worship, this is a huge plus.
- The activities are fun, and can be used for all ages. No more searching around for different activities for each age group.
I am sure that this book would be a great benefit to any family that wants to keep the focus on Christ during the Christmas season. This book, as well as several other great titles, are available on the Homeschool Encouragement product page. I am also very excited to be able to give away one free digital copy! Please click the button below to enter for your chance to win!