I admit it, I am an office supply fanatic. I love office supply stores, and their endless shelves of all the things you never knew you needed for your office or school. One thing I always seem to be in search of in such places is a quality pencil sharpener. Let me say, and I am sure I am not alone here, that most sharpeners are junk. If they do work, it’s not very well. And those that do work well are either loud or cost an arm and a leg. I don’t mind paying for quality, but even so, most quality sharpeners are WAY overpriced. In frustration, we have resorted to using mostly pens in our homeschool, which of course, has its definite down sides. So, when I saw lots of positive reviews from fellow bloggers for the Classroom Friendly Supplies pencil sharpener, I jumped at the chance to review it for myself.
Is the Classroom Friendly Supplies Pencil Sharpener possibly the answer to my quest for the perfect sharpener that won’t break the bank? In all honesty, I can definitely say yes! Let me introduce you to my new best friend.
First of all, I do want to note that it has a cool retro look, and comes in a variety of colors. Not that form should come before function, but it certainly doesn’t hurt. The real question is does this sharpener work, and if so, how does it differ from other sharpeners on the market? Let me explain how the sharpener works. You first pull out the metal plate on the front of the sharpener. Then, you squeeze together the knobs on the top, allowing you to insert the pencil. Releasing the knobs once the pencil is in place keeps the pencil tight and secure, allowing both hands free to hold the sharpener and turn the crank in the back to sharpen.
Now on to the big question: how well does it work? I tried this sharpener with some of the worst pencils I could possibly find, just to see if it could perform. I bought a pack of pencils at the dollar store, thinking the sharpener might do a good job with some, but there might be a dud or two. I certainly wasn’t expecting the results I got, which was a perfect point on every single one. These are the same type of pencils that had been absolutely shredded by every other pencil sharpener in my possession.
This pencil sharpener is nothing short of amazing. Hands down, it is the best sharpener I have ever owned or used. Here are my favorite features:
- It does a perfect job time after time, regardless of the type (or quality) of pencil you use
- Sturdy construction means durability. Definite plus in my house!
- The plastic drawer underneath is easy to remove and clean. It just slides out and back in
- The metal plate holds it perfectly in place. No more lopsided pencil tips
- The crank is easy to turn, and gets even easier to let you know when the sharpening is complete
- It’s quiet! It’s not silent, but it’s the quietest crank sharpener I have ever heard, by far
- It comes with a non-permanent mount to clip it to a desk or table, for extra stability
- Replacement blades are available directly from Classroom Friendly Supplies, so no need to throw out the whole sharpener just for a dull blade
- The price is excellent. Can you get a cheaper sharpener? Sure. But you will spend more on a dozen cheapies that don’t work half as good as this one. For the quality and excellent results, this sharpener is a steal!
So how much is it and where can you get one? This amazing sharpener is $24.99 at Classroom Friendly Supplies. They also have a fantastic deal where you can get 3 sharpeners for $53.97. And for you classroom teachers out there, there are even greater discounts for bulk orders. I should also note that, for those with younger children, Classroom Friendly Supplies also carries a large hole sharpener for those thicker pencils. For more information, you can check out the Classroom Friendly Supplies website, follow them on Facebook and Twitter, or click HERE for the product video.
Thanks so much to Troy, from Classroom Friendly Supplies, for giving me the opportunity to review this sharpener!